Antico Colle Vineyards
The “Antico Colle” family business is located on the eastern side of Montepulciano, whereas the vineyards are spread amongst various strips of council land covered by the D.O.C.G. certificate (Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita – certification of controlled and guaranteed origin). The estate is made up in total of about 20 hectares of land from which are obtained the following wines:
- Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Riserva “Il Saggio” D.O.C.G.;
- Vino Nobile di Montepulciano D.O.C.G.;
- Rosso di Montepulciano D.O.C.;
- Chianti Colli Senesi D.O.C.G.;
- I.G.T. Bianco Toscana; (certification of geographic origin)
- Grappa and Antico Colle Olive Oil.
The Vines Antico Colle
The terrain where the vines are grown has both an optimal and variable layout which is perfect for the ripening of the grapes and together with the average altitude of 300-400 m above sea level and the good ventilation reduces to a minimum the risks associated with the plants’ biology. The make up of the soil in this terrain is of medium mix, layered, clayey, tuffaceous and sandy. The vines most commonly grown are:
Prugnolo Gentile (Sangiovese clone), Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Canaiolo Nero, Mammolo, Chardonnay.